Thursday, April 2, 2009

Video: Wilco "I'm Always in Love"

I rock. My sweater does not.

You never would've thought it, with Jeff Tweedy's often schlub-like appearance(above), but with the documentary "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" and the bonus DVD that came with Sky Blue Sky(which is really cool), Wilco has proven to be a very camera-friendly band (and I'll add the band's appearance on Saturday Night Live last season where they played an absolutely rocking "Walkin").

There's a lot to like about "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" - the cool black and white footage, the band-gets-dropped-by-record-label story that unfolds, all the stuff shot in the band's loft practice space. And there's some great music as well, one of my favorite of which is shown below, "I'm Always in Love". Tweedy's in full ice cream man regalia, the camera's right in his face, and the band is rocking. And the drummer is just having himself some fun. Check it out.



For the record: I hate when people in the media continue to refer to Wilco as "alt-country." Their first record "AM" was definitelt alt-country, but what they're doing now is in no way alt-country whatsoever. So the moral of the story for all the young bands out there: you never get a second chance to get pigeon-holed into one musical genre. Never.



No comments: