Sunday, June 7, 2009

Check 'em out: The Gourds


The band: The Gourds

Hometown: Austin, TX

Sounds like... a Texas Rock and Roll Ho-down

There's a good chance you're more familiar with The Gourds than I am. For years I had heard about them and what I heard made me think that this is a band that I'd definitely like. But for some reason I dragged my feet. Well, they came to Albany last year. I went. They were great.

Their country influence may seem a bit strong at first listen, but as you listen to them a bit you'll begin to realize that they're a straight-up rock band. The first thing that jumps out at me about this band is their catchy songs - man, some of them can really stick in your head (in the good way, not in the "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba kinda way...). Secondly, the instrumentation and what I'm gonna call song craftsmanship really sets these guys apart. They work mandelin, fiddle, accordian, organ and a host of other instruments into their songs so well and it all gells together nicely, producing a captivating overall sound. Thirdly, the bands rocks pretty hard, even though they don't have a dominant instrument that leads the band down that road (ie. a strong electric guitar). When I saw them there was a point where I was like, "These guys are jamming so hard," even though no one in the band was soloing or even playing fast for that matter. These guys are a fluid musical unit and they lock in with each other instinctually. And that's some special shit when a band can do that.

I saw them at the performing arts space of the local public radio station, which is sterile/snooty to say the least (In In the Aisles I had written that I wouldn't be going to this Gourds show because "I'm not going to that place ever again until they start selling beer"). So I look forward to see them in a packed club with 200 other people who are drunk and ready to get down. Cause this is the band you want to see in that situation.

http://www.thegourds.com/

www.myspace.com/thegourdstx


I only have 3 of their albums, but you gotta check out the first 7 tracks of their 2006 album Heavy Ornamentals. A pretty kick-ass 7 straight songs to start a record for sure. Listen here:



The dudes are serious road warriors, so a picture with the van is appropriate

No comments: