Saturday, March 6, 2010

Check 'em out: Prison Book Club


I love the dude in the red shirt

The band: Prison Book Club
Hometown: Shepherdstown, West Virginia
The sound: "sloppy twang rock executed with punk-rock precision"

I think the band's self-description above makes them sound sloppier than they actually are, but it conveys the general gist of this band: guitar-driven rock from rural America from dudes who listened to punk in high school. The upbeat rocking tracks was what grabbed me about these guys, but the slower songs are also really good and they all fit well together on their debut album ($8 for 8 songs, postage included. Worth every goddamn penny). This is another band that would benefit tremendously from ramped up production values* as this record is a bit lacking in that category. I'd really like to hear this band after 100 more shows under their belt...

* with all I hear about fucking Pro Tools and all that other software shit, I'd figure that even the poorest band could record an excellent sounding album with 3 mics, a laptop and 2 gum wrappers these days...


note: a shout out to the guys at ninebullets.net for turning me onto this band.




No comments: