Wednesday, January 28, 2009

[LISTEN HERE]* Drive By Truckers: "Where the Devil Don't Stay"






I like the Truckers. However, I don't love them as much as some people I know. ((1) They have a lot of songs. And a lot of them just don't grab me, you know? (2) I saw them once and they sounded...muddy(?). And this is supported by a live EP someone lent me that sounded similar (but which had some great story which served as a song intro. I forget what the story was about, but it was cool...) Anyway, they do have some truly great songs. And I think it's safe to say that few artists are better at story-telling songs than the Truckers. And as someone not from the South (actually, maybe as far from the South as possible - Queens, NY), they paint such vivid imagery of the South and southern life.
I only got The Dirty South recently and for some reason listened mostly to the other top-notch songs on its first half but not this track. I'm not sure why I skipped over it, but I usually did. Then I was looking to by an Ipod dock for my wife for Christmas for the kitchen so she can listen to the radio and I can crank tunes to drown out her fuckin bitching and moaning (just kidding. I love my wife. And her fuckin bitching and moaning...) I brought my Ipod with me and was checking out some systems at Best Buy. And since this was the first track on the album I was playing it. Loudly. And I was cranking that shit big time in Best Buy, getting weird looks from other patrons. I was waiting - just waiting - for an employee in his blue smock to come over and tell me turn it down so I could lambast him with "But this a stereo store! You need to crank this shit. Wuss." But no employees even noticed me. They were probably in the back talking with other employees about "this killer new 'app' I got for my iphone." Anyway this track rocks. I love the lead with slide. Very cool.

* or maybe I should call it [LISTEN, HEAR]. Kinda a cool play on words. Maybe with a semi-colon, like [LISTEN; HEAR]. I don't know.





No comments: