Sunday, March 22, 2009

Check 'em out: The Most Beautiful Losers


The Band: The Most Beautiful Losers

sounds like: Americana hard rock; strong Slobberbone influence

Hometown: Canton, Ohio


I don't know about you, but I find that I gravitate toward young, borderline unknown bands. I'm not sure why exactly, but I'd much rather see a struggling band just starting out play in a dirty rock club in front of 35 people than see some hot buzz-band play to a crowd of 2,000. It just seems more real to me - the essence of rock and roll is thick in the air of those small clubs. Anyway, while I've never seen the Most Beautiful Losers play, they're that kind of band. And they fall directly in the Tallboy cross-hairs: from some scrappy midwest town; they sing about getting too drunk, having horrible luck with the ladies, and general down-and-outness; they don't take themselves too seriously, but they take rocking quite seriously. I think you have to put their first 2 records into the "demo" category, as the sound quality and production can be cringe-worthy at times. But there are some good songs there and I dig their overall sound.


If these guys get a couple cross-country tours under their belt (for some experience) and with a decent recording studio situation, I think they could really turn some heads (ears? Is turn some ears even a phrase? It should be. Hey, I just came up with it. I'm gonna copyright it like Pat Riley did with "Three-peat").
Oh, and you just gotta love their little tagline: "A drinking band with a rock and roll problem"


www.myspace.com/mostbeautifullosers



Here are 6 tracks for your streaming pleasure. "Asshole" is a sure-fire crowd pleaser. The last 2 are slower songs to show that side of the band as well.


The Most Beautiful Losers

No comments: